Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Princess Belle a.k.a. Ling

Our second furry born one came to us through the wonderful people at Pekingese rescue. DB and I had been married less than a year, when it occurred to me that Shen needed a friend. You do remember Shen:
Being newly married I asked DB "Can you just say 'yes' without knowing what I am going to ask you"? Being newly married DB answered "yes" and then I sprung it on him, I wanted a friend for Shen. As a side note, DB has NEVER AGAIN fallen for that one!

I searched high and low, through hundreds of pictures on the internet to find the right pooch. None of them were what I was looking for; then out of the blue Pekingese rescue calls. They had a female approximately the same age as Shen that was in desperate need of a home. She had been a breeder and the people decided she was not breeding "good" puppies any longer and had to go.

I packed Shen into the car and away we drove to visit this female breeder. At the time, her name was Belle and she wanted nothing to do with Shen or I. However, after evaluating her situation (it was very worrisome), I agreed to take Belle. Her owners signed the necessary AKC paperwork transferring her ownership to me and behold I was the proud owner of an AKC pure-bred registered Pekingese. I am sure you see where this is going.
You have to admit I am getting closer with the breed standard!

I now packed Shen and Belle into the car and away we drove. About this time, I thought I should call DB and let him know what was happening.

Me: "Hi, I do not want to argue, I am in the car with a dog,
she needed a home & I was not about to let her stay where she was"
DB: "ok"
Me: "See you soon, please get the extra kennel, bed, bowls, etc. ready"
DB: "ok"

Isn't DB wonderful!

It really did not take long for DB to realize Belle was not going to be sent to another home. Perhaps what gave it away was me deciding she should have a new name in honor of her new home. We named her Ling and although she technically is no longer named Princess, she is most definitely a princess, with a royal purple, velvet bed to prove it.

Now I love Shen and I know he loves me; but, Ling, Ling does not let me out of her sight. She is always underfoot, watching me, making sure that she has eye contact with me. I think in those first few days of living with us, while she was learning how to manage the stairs and that she could run around free, she decided that I was her mother. Ling is my child, in my eyes she can do no wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment