Friday, July 30, 2010

Britches Blow-Out

Last night my ride on Austin did not go quite as planned. Let me just give you the picture now and get it over with...
What you are no longer seeing is the seat of my pants, yes, only I am capable of falling from a horse and in the process rip the entire butt area off my pants. Alias, I am getting ahead of myself. I arrived at the barn, tack Austin, decide it is rather warm in the arena, let us start in the pasture doing hill work. Three times down the hill and back, Austin is tiring of hill work, I tell him, just two more times. That I would soon learn was two times too many!

Down the hill at a walk, back up, Austin decided that trotting was more his speed, we hit a dip in the pasture and he decided cantering was now more his speed. Allow me to briefly explain the pasture, it is terraced, with dips. We are now cantering and he hits another dip, this = PISSED, he jumped, he bucked, he jumped, he kicked out, he bucked and I fell off.

An almost 40 year old does not like to see the ground rushing up toward her from a good 5 to 6 feet off the ground. I know exactly what you are thinking, 5 feet it is not that far to fall, please remember, I am not a stunt person that has been taught to fall. As I am falling, I am not thinking tuck and roll, I am thinking, this is not going well at all!

To add insult to injury, do you think that Austin stops once I am down...

NO

I call out for him, he looks back and keeps running, right back to the barn. Thankfully, I was able to extract myself from the ground, determine that all major limbs were attached, back was still in working order and my phone had magically landed next to me. I said to myself; "I must get back on"! As I am walking toward the gate, I am thinking wow what a breeze there is in my rear region, that is when I look back. Imagine my surprise, instead of seeing cloth, I see bareness.

There are not words to described what went through my mind, knowing that my rear was hanging out for all to see. Luckily, only the dogs and horses were subjected to my rear. Of course, my next thought was how am I to ride with no pants. I said again, "this is not going as planned"! I found a towel and wrapped it around me, I was still trying to determine how I could ride with a towel wrapped around me when my brain must have decided to turn back on. One cannot ride, safely, while a towel is wrapped around them.

Several Lessons have been taken from this incident:
  1. I, GB, need an extra pair of pants at the barn!
  2. Austin does not care for hill work!
  3. Austin is a runner, so much for standing over me worrying if I am alive and moving!
  4. Always wear a helmet!
That is my story and I am sticking to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment