Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Cycle of the Monarch Part 1

Earlier this summer we had green, lush, beautiful butterfly bushes. This is what I found a couple of weeks ago.


The bushes were covered in these yellow and black caterpillars, a good 15 or 20 of them were eating the leaves of the butterfly bush. I figured with my luck these caterpillars would turn into some sort of ugly moth. Luckily, I was mistaken, thanks to the nifty internet and a friends caterpillar book, we determined that our caterpillars are Monarch Butterflies.

In my spare time, I have been watching these caterpillars eat the entire bush and then disappear. Today, my crazy barn friend and I found one, hanging head down about to become a pupa. Hopefully, nothing will happen to the little dude and I will be able to document the birth of a Monarch Butterfly in a couple of weeks.


No comments:

Post a Comment