Friday, January 7, 2011

"Thank You" Notes

I finally got my thank you notes written from the holidays.  It seems a bit old fashioned that I still take pen to paper and actually write... not type thank you cards.  Granted, I was raised believing this task was proper etiquette; I have since come to the conclusion it also makes people feel good.  After all, everyone loves getting mail, there is something special about seeing your name on a letter and knowing that someone took the time to write you a note.

In fact, NPR had a piece about writing the perfect thank you note.  Perfect Thank You Notes "Lawyer John Kralik decided to start 2008 with a serious New Year's resolution: to be thankful for the good things and people in his life.  So he spent the next year writing one thank you note for each day - to family, friends, co-workers, even the barista at his local Starbucks.  Those notes make up his new book, 365 Thank Yous: The Year A Simple Act of Daily Gratitude Changed My Life".

Maybe if everyone took just a bit more time to be grateful for good in their lives, we would focus less on the negative and more on the positive.  While it may be old fashioned to write thank you notes, I will continue and maybe, just maybe others will take up this dying art form.


No comments:

Post a Comment