Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Defeated and Downtrodden

In the past two weeks, Doodle and I have purchased two new "squirrel resistant" bird feeders.

We looked...
We debated... 
We tested...
We talked to others fighting the ever present creatures

And finally, we choose this
The first week, the squirrels were confused, running scared and then they figured out they could hang on it and chew the plastic.  Seeds fall out, comrades on the ground get to eat.  

So, back to the store,
We looked...
We debated... 
We tested...
We talked to others fighting the ever present creatures

We decided this feeder would foil the creatures, they were too big to fit though the holes!


Yesterday, after only 24 hours, this is what the feeder looked like...


Score 2 for the squirrels

Score 0 for the humans


2 comments:

  1. This post is just too funny...sorry...I'm still laughing. Squirrels are pretty resourceful. I just feed them peanuts in a shell, although the squirrels don't have a chance against the bluejays. They get about one peanut to every five the bluejays grab.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't have any squirrels in our neighborhood. When it was built 20 years ago they took down all the trees so they had nothing and even with the trees growing back, the squirrels have not returned.

    I've had trials with my birdseed not feeders. The first stuff I bought would fall to the ground and the dog would eat all the little pellets. Believe me that wasn't pretty. So I moved to sunflower seeds and the dog doesn't know what to do with them. I was very happy with my cardinals and sparrows but now the big ugly blackbirds have discovered them. I hate those things. I have lightweight birdfeeders and they insist on hanging on them. I try to scare them but it doesn't work for long. And the dog is no help whatsoever.

    ReplyDelete