Thursday, February 16, 2012

Weekend Idea

This week has flown by, thank goodness, as last week dragged on forever.  On Saturday, Doodle and I will be participating in the Great Backyard Bird Count which asks everyone to count the number and type of birds they see in their backyard.  According to the website, "the Great Backyard Bird Count is an annual four-day event that engages bird watchers of all ages in counting birds to create a real-time snapshot of where the birds are across the continent. Anyone can participate, from beginning bird watchers to experts. It takes as little as 15 minutes on one day, or you can count for as long as you like each day of the event. It’s free, fun, and easy—and it helps the birds".

I had never heard of this event until I received an Audubon calendar this year and the event is listed.  I am quite excited to count the birds that visit our feeders each day and hope I get a glimpse of the woodpeckers that live in the woods.  There are a couple different ways of counting the birds depending on if you are walking or stationary and there is even a photo contest!

I think this would be a great weekend adventure for everyone, especially getting kids interested in nature. So get out there and count people!

2 comments:

  1. My problem with that is that I can't identify any kind of bird except a cardinal and a hummingbird. And they aren't around this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've done the counts before. Happy counting!

    ReplyDelete