Saturday, July 14, 2012

Gustav Klimt & Herb Ritts

Last weekend Doodle and I made an extremely quick visit to California.  We were celebrating moms birthday.  It was a wonderful, if not short visit.  The first full day we visited The Getty. When we were kids, I remember mom taking us to visit the J. Paul Getty museum in Malibu.  A few years ago the Getty Foundation opened a huge complex in Los Angeles, which is where we spent the day.  The Center is a great value, it was fifteen dollars to park but the rest of the exhibitions, gardens, and collections are free.

As none of us had been there, we had no idea what to expect...after taking a tram to the center, we see this...    
The center is made up of six buildings with walkways between them, views of Los Angeles, cafes, gardens, and water features.  This place is amazing and tiring!  We spent 6 hours there and did not see it all.  The Center is currently featuring two exhibitions.  The first:

The exhibit featured his drawings, not his finished work.  This was actual quite interesting, especially when they showed how the piece developed.  Klimt was quite the rebel, starting his own periodical and building an exhibition hall.  Out of everything displayed both LB (Little Bro) and I seemed to like:
Oil Sketch for Medicine, 1897–98, Gustav Klimt. Oil on canvas. Courtesy of Christie's Vienna
The second exhibition is the one that I was excited to see:
Herb Ritts: LA Style

I have been a fan of Herb Ritts since I first laid eyes on his photos. Ritts revolutionized photography, working with some of the most famous people in Hollywood. I would love to own one of his photos but since his untimely death, they are out of my price range (at least until I win the lottery)!  I was in heaven! No photos were allowed but thanks to the Getty website, here is my favorite photo from the exhibit:
Pierre and Yuri, Los Angeles, 1999, Herb Ritts, gelatin silver print. Gift of the Herb Ritts Foundation. © Herb Ritts Foundation
The gardens and permanent collection coming up...

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful and beautiful experience. I'm sure your mom had a great birthday with you all there. I'll probably never visit Malibu, and am looking forward to seeing more photos.

    ReplyDelete