Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Starsky and Hutch

Starsky & Hutch together again!  Meet the newest editions to the fish tank...

Pistol Shrimp aka Starsky & Yellow Watchman Goby aka Hutch

Photo Credit
Starsky & Hutch have a symbiotic relationship, that is the rely on each other for survival.   Starsky has very poor eyesight and Hutch is poor at building a home.  Starsky burrows into the sand, keeping their house tidy while Hutch stands watch and lets Starsky know when he can safely feed.

When we brought Starsky & Hutch home, we were instructed to make sure that we put them into the tank together so they would not loose one another.  We did as instructed and wouldn't you know it, Starsky zigged and Hutch zagged.  Doodle and I looked at each other and exclaimed "they are above our capabilities"!  I stressed all that day and night wondering how they would get along without the other.  Of course, it eventually dawned on me, the tank is only 55 gallons and there are only so many places for them to hide.  Needless to say they are together.

I wish I had videoed Starsky clearing the sand, he worked like a bulldozer moving the sand around while Hutch stood guard.  It was a blast to watch.  I found this video on YouTube by Maximus Reef that is a great example of what Starsky does. 



Starsky is a type of pistol shrimp which means they snap their claw together to shoot a stream of air/water when they are threatened.  Jorge with Pure Reef said you will hear a snapping noise when this happens... guess what, he was right!  The tank lights were off, but I could hear a snapping noise.  They are just too cool! 

1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited--I'm getting my husband a 90-gallon salt water aquarium for his birthday in October (Shhhhh) There is nothing like the relaxation from watching these beautiful creatures to their thing.

    ReplyDelete