Sunday, November 18, 2012

What in the World?

Do you know what this is?  

Photo Credit
Doodle and I brought one home from Kansas, they were everywhere, lying on the ground.

It has a nice orange smell and has made the kitchen smell great.

The skin is rough and bumpy.  It is relatively hard and heavy.

The tree has huge thorns growing on all the branches.

Some people in Kansas call them "Hedge Apples".

Figured it out?

This fruit is from the Osage Orange Tree.  They grow throughout the great plains which explains why neither Doodle or I had ever seen one.  They were planted as living fences, makes perfect sense when you see them, they are usually in a straight line. In fact, looking back through the Kansas photos, you can see the trees.  Squirrels and deer like to eat the seeds from the inside of the orange, which from what I can tell is difficult.  One website recommends a hack saw to open the orange.

I think I am going to try growing one of these in the front yard... I mean if it grows in Kansas, why would not it grow in Georgia!

4 comments:

  1. These grow in Tennessee also, so should grow fine for you. Plant it where no one will walk under it, because one of those fruits falling from a high tree could seriously damage you if it hit your head. Also a ton of rotting fruit would not be as wonderful of a smell as just one. These trees do get tall here and they have thorns, so be picky about where you plant it. They produce a lot of fruit, so in fall the ground will be littered with them. Deer love them, and ones munched by deer will be sticky to handle. I think these are originally from China or somewhere in the orient, so they aren't native. I've collected the fruit from the park in garbage bags(they are very heavy), and put them under my deck to keep the cockroaches away. Orange oil will kill insects. You only need to cut one open if you want the seed, as the animals that eat them do fine on their own; and they are not palatable to humans. As a master gardener, I worked on the property of a historical house, part of which later was made a zoo; and these trees were quite invasive there; so think about it a bit before you decide to plant one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also...Andee's biopsy was okay. The person doing it said it looked odd, but it just looked that way because that's how his body reacted with the substance to begin with(turning it green). I can't remember exactly what the lump was, but it is evidently common. I will have a lump removed from a pet no matter what, for peace of mind, as there is always a possibility that later it could become cancerous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They grow around here too, but IA isn't too far from Kansas. My husband's grandma swore by putting them around the base of the house to keep the pests away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen them....they grow in parts of Texas also, so I would think they grow in GA. Right? It's worth a try. You never know 'til you try.

    ReplyDelete