Sunday, March 3, 2013

Top Hat Cheese Soufflé


Last night Doodle and I made a cheese soufflé.  Mom recently mailed me the soufflé dish that grandma had given her and the best cheese cookbook... ever!  This Kraft cookbook dates to 1971 and there is not a bad recipe in it... apparently I have tried them all over the years.  You can always tell when a cookbook is good, this one is taped together and the pages are splattered with food.  The sign of a great book.

This is one of those dishes that takes me back to my childhood.  I love this recipe, it reminds me of a time when life was not so complicated. When families ate dinner together without cell phones interrupting.  Try it, I promise everyone will enjoy it, after all, who does not love cheese?

  

1/3 cup margarine
1/3 cup flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1 teaspoon salt
dash of cayeene
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
6 eggs separated

PREHEAT oven to 300°F. Melt butter in medium saucepan on medium-low heat. Stir in flour and seasonings. Gradually add milk, stirring until well blended. Cook until thickened, stirring constantly. Add cheese; cook until melted, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Beat egg yolks lightly. Gradually add to cheese mixture, stirring until well blended. Cool slightly. 

BEAT egg whites in small bowl with electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form. Add to cheese mixture; stir gently until well blended. Pour into 2-quart souffle dish or casserole dish. With tip of spoon, make slight indentation or "track" around top of souffle 1 inch from edge to form "top hat." 
 
BAKE 1 hour and 15 min. or until center is set and top is lightly browned. Serve immediately.




1 comment:

  1. A soufflé is very exciting yet terrifying to me to try to make.

    ReplyDelete